What They Don't Tell You About Instagram

                                                                Wall Street Journal - YouTube

 As of September 14, 2021, The Wall Street Journal posted an article stating,"on average, teens in the U.S spend 50% on Instagram than they do on Facebook". "Among the 22 millions teens that log onto Facebook each day, 40% of Instagram's users are 22 years older [or] younger"

                                                             Instagram – what are the issues? | Parent Zone

In my first couple of blog posts, I talked about Instagram's origin, the benefits, and the cons. Yet, the cons of Instagram keep being brought to light each and every day. In my last blog post and my EOTO presentation, I shared that Facebook bought Instagram in 2012. Not only has facebook been under the water with not sharing information so has Instagram. I guess birds of a feather flock together. 

There has been a lot of information within the past couple of months between social media and the rise of teen, specifically teen girl, suicides. I wanted to do some research on how Instagram contributes to mental health disorders. In an article by CNN, it stated that Instagram makes "body images issues worse for one in three teen girls". Among understanding ones body image the result was "13% of British users and 6% of American users desire to kill themselves [by using Instagram]".

                                                Bark Technologies - Crunchbase Company Profile & Funding

Three-four summers ago, I actually had the opportunity to intern with Bark Technology. Throughout my internship, I was able to spend my time with Titania Jordan, the Chief Marketing Officer and the Chief Parent Officer. Bark is an online software that parents can buy and download to keep their children safe from online. From this internship, I realized that the world is changing so quickly and aggressively this software might be an amazing idea for parents to keep up. 

Comments

Popular Posts